As part of the application review process for J-1 Intern or Trainee Visa sponsorship, we conduct a short interview with you over Skype. Once your application status changes from ‘Under Review’ to ‘Pending Interview’ the reviewer of your application will reach out to you via email to schedule the Skype interview at a convenient time. This shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes of your time.
How to Prepare for Your Skype Interview:
1. Make sure that you have access to a good internet connection and that you are alone somewhere quiet - a noisy background will be distracting for both you and your interviewer. Treat your Skype interview as you would an in-person interview: be ready to start your interview on time, look professional, and turn off or silence your mobile phone. If you have technical difficulties with Skype, contact your reviewer to discuss other alternatives.
2. Take some time before your interview to reflect on your education background (Interns) or your work experience (Trainees) and how you would expect to apply it to the internship or training program being offered. Be prepared to discuss your background and how it has prepared you for your proposed internship or training program - have you taken relevant classes? What other internships have you previously held? The more details you can share with your interviewer, the better.
3. Think about why you are applying for this program. You should be comfortable discussing why you chose to intern or train with your host employer and your reasons for wanting to do a program in the U.S. Is there something in particular you liked about your host employer? What influenced your decision to do an internship/training program in the U.S.? How will it benefit your career?
4. Review your DS-7002 Training Plan by clicking “View Training Plan” in your application dashboard. You should be comfortable discussing your proposed internship/training program. Think about your goals for your program: what experience and skills do you hope to come away with? Share as much as you can.
5. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the application process and the J-1 Visa program. We want to make sure that you fully understand what the program entails. If you have questions/concerns after the interview you can always reach out to us. We're here to help!
We look forward to speaking with you!