Apply for Grant Funding to Make a Difference Abroad!
The Community Impact Grant is awarded to U.S. citizens on an InterExchange Working Abroad program who devise or improve a community project that will positively impact their host community, contribute to improved cross cultural communication, demonstrate American values and respect and appreciation for local culture.
Get creative! This is an opportunity to take initiative and develop or improve upon a sustainable project that benefits your host community and has immediate impact.
What do we mean by sustainable?
We mean projects that have long-term impact. If you create an English library at your school, current and future students have access to the resources - that’s long-term impact! Even if the project is just a one-day event, the knowledge imparted can have a lasting effect. Projects should be eco-friendly, as well.
- Cleaning a polluted river or lake
- Fixing a deteriorating playground
- Creating an English library in your school
- Renting audio equipment for a community English festival
Up to $1,500
Grant applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens
- Participating in an InterExchange Working Abroad program at least 12 weeks in length
- Preferrably at least four weeks into their program at time of application
- Able to submit clearly defined project objectives
- Project must not be political or religious in nature
- Approved by InterExchange’s partner to carry out the project
- Willing to blog about their project for InterExchange
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted via the online form.
- Project/program details (including objectives, timelines, and sustainability)
- Projected expenses (estimates are fine)
Frequently Asked Questions
Any project with clearly defined objectives that will positively impact the host community and that is sustainable. This is an opportunity to get creative and come up with your own project or to improve upon an existing one. Projects cannot be political or religious.
We don't expect you to know exact figures or even all the expenses at the time of application, but we'd like to get a sense of what the costs might entail. You can contact our international partner in-country for guidance.
Yes, two or more InterExchange participants may combine efforts. The total award amount remains $1,500.
Participants' first commitment is to their chosen work abroad program and it's important that community projects do not interfere with this commitment. InterExchange will contact international partners to confirm approval.
Community Impact Grant finalists are interviewed by the Foundation program coordinator via Skype. The interview typically lasts 30 minutes.
Grant funding above $599 is subject to tax. All grant recipients awarded $600 or more are issued a 1099.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org